Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Manifesto

I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

I circle around God, around the primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and I still don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

Ranier Maria Rilke

A week ago, I went to a Festival of Listening, which was a poetry reading of poems all in foreign languages. Someone read the German version of this poem, which I’ve fallen in love with.
I’m particularly enamored of the first line. This is exactly how I want to live my life: in ever widening circles. I love learning and discovering new and different things, and I want my life to be full of that feeling you have when you’ve stumbled upon something important. I want to keep finding important things.
My goal with this blog is simple: force myself to have new experiences, either in the world or through art, and write about them. I want to challenge myself to keep thinking and striving to be something more.
I want to keep circling that primordial tower, but honestly, I’m not sure if I need an answer to that last question. I’d be happy to be one, or two, or three of those things. Or something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment