Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Recipes for Great Writing

Tonight I finished my project of making a file of all the writer's club activities I could find.
One of the sad things is that, when I was working on these activities, it didn't occur to me that anyone would care about them after we did them, so I didn't purposeless keep notes. I had some things that I had forgotten to clean out of various nooks and crannies, like old notebooks with ideas in them, old handouts that had gotten jammed into those notebooks and a file on my computer with ideas I had compiled before I had even gotten started. So I used what I had, and even interviewed an old member for some ideas.
I decided to write it like you would for recipes. I list materials and steps and some helpful tips/additional ideas to make it easier.
I included an annotated bibliography of sources and an appendix with materials for one of the activities. This makes it sound like a large file, but it's under fifteen pages. I often repeated activities that went over well. One of them in particular I used at least five times, maybe more like eight.
Next, I need to subject one of my friends to editing through this for me and making sure it makes sense. I'm thinking I'll ask the writer who was once a member.
After that, I'm sending it off to my once apprentices, Erin and Mark. Hopefully, it'll be helpful and make the adjustment to doing my old job a little easier.
Oh. I just realized there was an activity I forgot. I'm going to have to make a note of it so I don't forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment