Thursday, June 10, 2010

DFT Summer Schedule

The Detroit Film Theatre has just sent me their list of movies this summer. As always, they make me sad that I'm probably not going to get to see everything I want to see.
This weekend and the next weekends afterward they're showing "The Complete Metropolis." I saw a version of the movie several years ago and loved it. It was a visually stunning work, plus it had a really fascinating storyline. Apparently, this is the most complete version of the film that they have found so far, meaning I really want to go and see the this one since it is closest to what the filmmaker intended. They also have a restored version of another sci-fi/horror favorite, the Spanish Dracula, which often gets toted as better than the American version shot at the same time.
They're also showing some opera stuff, including Aida. That show is near and dear to my heart, since I worked on a high school production of it.
They're even showing an action film, The Warlords, which stars Jet Li. (Yes, that Jet Li, right over there.) I'm a sucker for period films, and I've always wished I could see more films that weren't about American or European history.
There are some more "traditional" art house films showing, including The Father of my Children, about a filmmaker, which I hear is really good. Also from Europe, they're showing Breathless, which a film critic told me that I must see. And they have Nora's Will, a comedy involving an attempted suicide. (So I'm assuming it's a black comedy.) They're also showing a series of films done by the amazing Ousmane Sembene, including Black Girl and Moolaade. The first film is especially important because it marks the beginning of African cinema.
And, as always, no art theatre would be complete without some documentaries. They have one called Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo. When I first heard that title, I thought it was going to be some hilarious Japanese monster flick done in the 50's a la Gamera, but it's actually a film on people who collect bugs.
This is the problem with me getting stuff like this in the mail: all I want to do now is to go see these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment