Sunday, June 6, 2010

Essays on Horror


Today, I happen to catch a bit of Underworld on tv today. Although there are vampire movies I prefer (Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Blade, The Last Man on Earth, Black Sunday…), I actually like a lot in this movie. It gets a little boring at the end, but it’s mostly solid.
As I was watching it, it occurred to me that it might be easy to interpret the film in terms of race, class and gender. The werewolves are so clearly like slaves, and the vampires, with their pseudo-English pedigree are like former plantation owners.
I often find myself with these kinds of thoughts about horror movies. I have a list of academic papers I’d like to write about Jennifer’s Body, and I often find myself wanting to work on other films, like Splice, House on Haunted Hill, and Black Sabbath. If I ever end up working in academia maybe that can be the basis of my first book: Essays on Horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment