Sunday, May 16, 2010

loudQUIETloud: a film about the pixies

The Pixies are that band whose music you’ve heard but probably never heard of, unless you are a hardcore early 90s music fan. The documentary loudQUIETloud follows their reunion tour, showing how disconnected the members are from one another, shedding light on what probably broke them up in the first place. Black Francis and Kim Deal seem particularly at odds with each other, which is probably why they had separate tour buses.
What I really wanted to see was more about Joey Santiago, his wife Linda Mallari and their band the Martinis. When I was in middle school, my friend Emily was obsessed with their most famous song “Free,” and I ended up falling in love with it too. I’d like to see an entire documentary following them, or even Deal, the female singer and bass guitarist.
As someone who likes but is not a huge fan of the Pixies, I really liked this documentary. There was something brave in showing how uncomfortable much of the film was and band members were.

No comments:

Post a Comment