Friday, May 28, 2010

Puppet Collection

I was reading today that the Detroit Institute of Arts (one of my favorite museums) has a large collection of puppets.  In fact, it's the largest collection of puppets anywhere.  It's called the McPharlin Puppetry Collection and was established in 1951.  The reason this is news to me is that they're not usually on display because they're so delicate.  There's something very whimsical about the Chaldean Kings and I love the expression on the Rockefeller Mask.  I'm always impressed with the delightful things they have at the DIA, but this totally caught me off guard.  I was reading that they also apparently have Kermit the Frog, but I haven't been able to find a picture online of the one they had.
It's also the 125th anniversary of the DIA, so apparently they're planning on celebrating this year.  If you haven't been lately and live near Detroit, go.  It's a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment