Saturday, February 19, 2011

Real Detroit Spirit

I was furious when I heard that people were raising money to build a statue of RoboCop in my homecity of Detroit.  Detroit is a wonderful and strange place (despite all the Detroit bashing that certain people do), but yes indeed, we have problems.  I found myself thinking that someone was raising money to put a statue of a fictional character in a prominent place and not working on so many of the other things the city's people need.  I was also angry that a bunch of what were probably non-Detroiters were telling us what we should do for our city, without any thought to our actual needs (such as to stop treating us as less than, for starters, or say, desperate enough to put a statue honoring a police state in a city known for corrupt institutions and the riots of the late sixties.)  And, really, at the very least, if we were going to honor someone in Detroit, could we please make it someone who positively influenced the city?  And, not, say, an auto industry magnate? 
I was so happy to read this story about how the creator of RoboCop wants us to spend the money on the hungry.  That to me is real Detroit spirit: helping those in need and not thinking that Detroit is some joke.  It's not.  For a lot of people, it's home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment